Be the host with the most at your next backyard party with our beer braised Winner’s Meats Jalapeno Cheddar Whole Hog Sausage Brats wrapped in our award-winning Smoked Bacon and tossed in sweet & spicy mixture of cayenne and brown sugar!
Not a fan of spicy foods? This recipe works well with many of our whole hog sausage brats! Try it with our “NEW” Big Kahuna Brat, Green Onion, Black Bull, or Garlic Butter Brats! Our favorite variations of this recipe are listed at the bottom, or be creative and try variations of your own favorite spices with our Regular whole hog sausage brats!
SPICY JALAPENO CHEDDAR BACON WRAPPED BRATWURST
* This recipe makes 12 pieces
6 Winner’s Meats Whole Hog Jalapeno Cheddar Brats
3 (12 ounce) cans light beer
5 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 slices Winner’s Meats Smoked bacon, cut in half
- Whichever flavor of Winner’s Meats Brats you choose – poke the brats several times with a small fork or toothpick, and place into a saucepan with the beer. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove your favorite Winner’s Meats Whole Hog Sausage Brat from the beer, and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place a wire rack on top.
- Toss the brown sugar and cayenne pepper (or substituted spice mixes) together in a large bowl and set aside. Cut each bratwurst into two pieces, wrap each piece with half strip of bacon, and secure with toothpicks.
- Toss the bratwurst with the cayenne mixture to coat, then place onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until the bacon is brown and crisp, usually 25 to 35 minutes.
WANT TO FINISH THEM ON THE GRILL INSTEAD? We suggest using a grilling basket or grilling tray. The brats can be removed from the oven after 20 minutes and finished on a grill over medium to low heat. Please keep in mind to reduce grill flare-ups, it is best to wait until the bacon has reached a golden brown color and completed the majority of its cooking process. Keep a spray bottle handy just in case.
*The Cayenne Pepper can be omitted in this recipe and substituted with 1 teaspoon of regular ground pepper and ½ teaspoon of salt.
*The 3 cans of 12oz beer can be omitted and the brats can be boiled in 36 ounces of water.
*If using our Big Kahuna Brats, omit the cayenne and replace it with ½ teaspoon of ground clove, and ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Add 5 tablespoons of brown sugar, and then toss bacon-wrapped brats in mixture to coat. Follow the rest of the recipe as normal.
*Green Onion Brat Variation – Omit the cayenne. Use 5 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon ground ginger and a dash or two of soy sauce. Stir mixture until it absorbs the soy sauce, adding an additional teaspoon of brown sugar if necessary. Then toss bacon wrapped brats in mixture & coat thoroughly. Follow the rest of the recipe as normal.
Portions of this recipe was shared from: homemadefoodjunkie.com/grilled-bacon-wrapped-bratwurst/